This year I planted 25 pea seeds at the beginning of April. At the end of April only 3 of those plants came up. Disappointed, I went to check on the other seeds. I tried to dig one up. All I found was a mole trench. I replanted a new batch moving the peas inward by three inches and filled in the mole's trench. A few weeks later and still no peas. I checked and the mole trench was back in the old spot. moles eat earthworms, but I swear they are eating my pea seeds too. There are a ton of snakes in the garden this year and they could be the issue as well.
There were no problems with peas last year. Then I remembered last year I started the peas in egg shells and planted the egg shells in the garden. This year because of direct sowing the seed, egg shells were not used. Therefore, I decided to do an experiment. I saved some egg shells and planted the seeds in them. I planted about twelve new starts and ten have come up so far.